|| Pioglitazone Hydrochloride
What is Vexazone?
Vexazone 30mg Tablets contain the active ingredient Pioglitazone Hydrochloride. Pioglitazone modulates the transcription of insulin-sensitive genes that are involved in the control of glucose and lipid metabolism in the muscle, adipose tissue, and the liver. This allows for better control of blood glucose in patients with type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus or adult-onset diabetes).
How is Vexazone used?
Vexazone is available in three different dosages. This is the 30mg dosage. It also comes in a 15mg and 45mg dosage.
Follow the dosage instructions as given by your doctor.
Following a dietary and exercise program while taking Vexazone can further improve results.
Side effects can occur from the use of most medicines, and Vexazone is no different. Some mild and temporary side effects may occur. These are no cause for alarm. However some more serious side effects may require medical attention, and in some cases may need you to have to stop treatment with Vexazone.
Common side effects:
- hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) - usually when Vexazone is taken with a sulfonylurea or insulin
- shortness of breath when resting or after minimal physical activity
- swelling of the legs, feet and hands
- increased weight
- localised swelling of the ankles, feet and hands (oedema) and/or fluid in the lungs (pulmonary oedema) which may indicate heart failure - usually when taking Vexazone with insulin
- increased risk of fracture in women
- macular oedema
- altered or impaired liver function.
Less common, and more serious side effects:
- dark urine or pale stools
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- severe cramps of the stomach
- nausea or vomiting
- loss of weight
- blood in the urine
- pain and burning sensation when urinating
Do not take Vexazone if you are allergic to pioglitazone hydrochloride. Do not take Vexazone if you are allergic to any of the following inactive ingredients which are also found in the tablets:
- colloidal anhydrous silica
- croscarmellose sodium
- polysorbate 80
- magnesium stearate
Before you start taking Vexazone 30mg, tell your doctor if you:
- have any current medical conditions, as well as your past medical history
- are taking any medicines (this includes prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs, herbal remedies or nutritional supplements)
- are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
Some medicines will interact with pioglitazone and cause problems with one or both of the medicines. Cehck with your doctor if you can take Vexazone if you are taking:
- oral contraceptives
Vexazone can result in tiredness and drowsiness due to the decrease in blood glucose levels. If you are going to drive or operate machinery, make sure to be aware of this.